Re: debian-xemacs-version: Symbols' value as variable is void

Josef Oswald <oswald@chello.at> writes:

>> 3. Installed 21.4.6 from my cd, checked o the compile options used by the
>>    debian compilers - saved the list as  a file.
>
> Do I need to make this file into a executable file (like a script?)

Oh no!   Use it to till you what options to feed to configure when you
are building the xemacs source ie

./configure --with-sound=none,native '--cflags=-O2 -g -Wall' --with-x11
--extra-verbose --with-site-lisp --prefix=/usr/local
--error-checking=none --debug=no --dynamic --without-postgresql
--with-gpm=no --with-scrollbars=lucid--with-menubars=lucid
--package-path=/usr/local/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages --with-pop
--mail-locking=flock

or ad libitum

>> 4. Removed 21.4.6 completely,
> aptitude will take care of this, I think?

Oh yes ;-)

apt-get --purge remove xemacs*       will get the lot!

>> and downloaded source for 21.4.9 and the sumo package from xemacs.org
>> (mirror actually)
>

>> 5. Built this using the config options described in 3 above, but instead
>>    of make install as the final step used the checkinstall program to
>>    make .deb package
>
> Could you please tell me  _what_ the correct name for the checkinstall
> program is, as 'apt-get install checkinstall' tells me there is no
> package by that name.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that bit! It is availabvle in testing or unstable
or you can get the latest in an "unofficial"debian package at

http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

> but I have played around with a few distros so far, but I liked Debian
> still the most, even for a complete dummy like myself.

Stick with it!!

hth

Glyn
--