Re: traceroute

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 08:03:56PM +0100, john gennard wrote:
| I still have problems trying to configure a home network. Thinking
| traceroute might shed some light on this, I ran the program and got
| the following error messages:-
|
| a. From box 4 to 5 where ping works but not telnet
|
| traceroute: warning: findsaddr: cannot open netlink socket:
| 	address family not supported by protocol
|
| traceroute: warning: ip checksums disabled

I haven't been following your postings, so I will just answer based on
the information here.

I am assuming you used IP addresses for traceroute, and that you don't
have any firewall running. It seems like you have one on box 4.

Anyway, did you check if you have the telnetd package installed on box
5? Did you check your configuration in /etc/inetd, /etc/hosts.allow,
/etc/hosts.deny?

| b. From box 5 to 4 where both ping and telnet works
|
| traceroute: warning: findsaddr: error sending netlink message:
| 	connection refused
|
| traceroute: warning: ip checksums disabled

-Andy