Re: traceroute

On Friday 20 September 2002 13:46, Andy Saxena wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 08:03:56PM +0100, john gennard wrote:
> | I still have problems trying to configure a home network.
> | Thinking traceroute might shed some light on this, I ran the
> | program and got the following error messages:-
> |
> | a. From box 4 to 5 where ping works but not telnet
> |
> | traceroute: warning: findsaddr: cannot open netlink socket:
> | 	address family not supported by protocol
> |
> | traceroute: warning: ip checksums disabled
>
> I haven't been following your postings, so I will just answer
> based on the information here.
>
> I am assuming you used IP addresses for traceroute, and that you
> don't have any firewall running. It seems like you have one on box
> 4.
>
> Anyway, did you check if you have the telnetd package installed on
> box 5? Did you check your configuration in /etc/inetd,
> /etc/hosts.allow, /etc/hosts.deny?

[snip]

Many thanks and apologies for the delay ( things take me some time
to work through ). Yes, I did use IP addresses and there was no
firewall running. But, as you surmised, I did not have telnetd
installed - I had telnet though and assumed the daemon was also
there. The problem seems to have been exacerbated by me
misunderstanding the route man page.

I can now access and move between the boxes. Again thanks for your
help.

Regards,		john.