Re: learning how to set up a win modem

"Scott B. Berry" <n7zib@tritel.net> writes:

I am wondering since I have a supra Express 56i how to set it up in my linux
box.  I have read the winmodem how to.  This box is a Pentium 300 with 6.4Gb
of hard disk space with 64mb of Ram.  I am using speech synthesis built in
to the kernel called Speakup.  If anyone is interested you may read more at
http://www.linux-speakup.org.  I have used "isapnp/etc/isapnp.conf" to try
to get the values right but it is saying "Don't know what to do with any of
the stuff that I have taken the # away from.  I am just wondering do I have
to tweak settings or does isapnp already do that for me.  I am using kernel
2.2.18 right now.  Thanks for the help.

Scott,

You might be mixing apples and oranges here. Diamond made several quite different models of the SupraExpress 56i. The ISA models were NOT "winmodems", but he PCI version were. The ISA models were just like any other modem with a UART.

If you have an ISA modem, then you "might" have to use the isapnptools package, although I didn't have to do this on the model I have. If I set the BIOS to "PnP OS = no", then the BIOS would pick it up and initialize it OK. I just had to set up a serial port using the I/O and IRQ that the BIOS assigned. If I turned off the second serial port on the motherboard, the BIOS would automatically initialize my modem to that port, and I didn't have to use isapnp at all!

If your modem is a PCI modem and thus a "winmodem", then the isapnp tools package will NOT be of much help, since it is for the ISA bus only. The PCI bus has this functionality built-in.

Here is a good site for more info... just look in the database and look up your specific model of modem.

http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-