RE: Why do I need to be a %^#$# programmer to use Linux?

deFreese, Barry said:
> Nate,
>
> OK, so I gave in and re-compiled my kernel.  Had some issues but got
> through it.
>
> I can now run the rpm --rebuild command as you have done below with no
> problems. However, when I go to actually make the digi files, I get a
> bunch of dependency errors.  It looks like it is looking for some rpm
> files specific to version 3.0.?? and I have 4.0.? installed.  Is that
> possible??
>
> Did you take the digi stuff all the way to the point of generating the
> utilities and module file?

http://portal.aphroland.org/~aphro/rebuild.log

what happened is in that log file. it built everything in the source
rpm without problems. if there is an additional RPM I haven't tried
it(thats the only one i saw at the time). I did not try to install it,
what I would do usually after the rpm is created is convert it to
tar/gz and install it manually:

alien -t filename.rpm
(you'll need to apt-get install alien)

you can also convert it to deb with alien -d and installing it
with dpkg ..

I haven't tried to load the modules or install the files since I don't
have that hardware, but I suspect since the compile was so smooth it
would work if I had the hardware.

what errors are you getting? possible that you don't have all the
dev packages needed to compile it(my systems usually have TONS of dev
packages).

as you've seen with this experience, using a 3rd party driver usually
is much easier when you've built your own kernel, same goes for
drivers like Nvidia, or VMware, which I use as well.

if theres another rpm lemme know the url again and i can try to build
it to see what happens on my end

your almost there!

good luck

nate