Re: Moving mailboxes in Postfix

Curtis Vaughan said:
> Telneting in I get:
>
> +OK oceanica Cyrus POP3 v2.0.16 server ready
>
> And I intend to use Postfix on the new system.
>
> And I have all passwords, but as you say that wouldn't matter as I can
> do basically whatever I want with their accounts.

ok cyrus. I have not worked with cyrus 2.x, and debian stable uses
cyrus 1.5.x.. I can describe the process for migrating from cyrus 1.5.x
to cyrus 1.5.x on another system, I don't know if the process is differnet
for going from 2.x to 1.5 (or if its even possible, you may need to
ocpy mail using the IMAP clients instead of offline)

on new server:
install cyrus-imapd cyrus-pop3d cyrus-admin

edit /etc/imapd.conf and assign a user to the admin line to administrate
the mail system

run: cyradm localhost
(input the username and password for the admin account specified in
imapd.conf)

cm user.johnb

where johnb is the login account.

on the old server I would go to
/var/spool/cyrus/mail/user and tar up the johnb account:
tar -cvf /tmp/johnb.tar johnd/

copy johnb.tar to /var/spool/cyrus/mail/user on the new system and
extract it:
tar -xvf johnb.tar

remove johnd.tar:
rm johnb.tar

chown the files so they are owned by user cyrus group mail:
chown -R cyrus.mail johnd/

have cyrus recontstruct everything:
su - cyrus
/usr/sbin/reconstruct -m # this rebuilds the mailboxes file
/usr/sbin/reconstruct -r user.johnb # this rebuilds the account

you should be able to login as johnb(provided you have an account
on the system, cyrus mail accounts and system accounts are SEPERATE)
and see the email for that user.

for postfix put:
mailbox_transport = cyrus

in /etc/postfix/main.cf and restart postfix(postfix reload) that
will tell postfix to deliver incoming mail to the cyrus mail system.

this may not work going from cyrus 2.x to 1.5 though, since I've
never used 2.x.

many things in cyrus 2.x are not supported in 1.5, such as SASL,
server side filtering, and possibly more.

cyrus 2 is available in unstable(not yet in testing I don't think),
so I would strongly reccomend against using it in a production
enviornemnt at this point. cyrus 1.5 has worked well for me on
about half dozen servers using both postfix and sendmail.

good luck

nate