Re: [OT] punctuation (was Re: Configuring w3m for Mozilla)

bob@proulx.com (Bob Proulx) writes:

> DvB <imasu@earthlink.net> [2002-09-19 10:50:34 -0500]:
>
> > I was merely following commonly accepted punctuation rules for American
> > English which state that, when a comma (or period) follows a quoted
>
> Ah, but languages were switched.  You were no longer talking American
> English but Computer User.  When talking CU new rules are applied.  At
> that time all literal strings are quoted exactly with characters you
> wish the user to type.  :-)

You're probably right. It's hard trying to balance being pretty anal
about spelling and grammar (when I actually know the correct
spelling/usage, that is :-) and being a nerd.

> I have taken to offsetting in a block
> quote format just to be explicit.  And it makes cut-n-paste easier.
>
>   which mozilla
>
> But instead of that old csh script 'which' I prefer newer commands
> such as 'command' or 'type'.  (Yes I see that on debian which is now a
> bash script instead of a csh script.  But this is not true everywhere.)
>
>   type mozilla
>
>   command -v mozilla

Those must be relatively new. I graduated from college pretty recently
and only learned

which mozilla

whereis mozilla

I've always known "type" as the DOS version of cat. I also never gave
much thought to how they were implemented before :-)