Re: Connecting to X remotely w/ssh

The only way to run applications over ssh IMHO is using the application
remotely, but NOT start the X server with startx.

You can make an ssh with X forwarding active adding a -X to the command
line (if your SSHD server allow X11Forwarding, that under Debian is
deactivated by default). You can check the /etc/ssh/sshd_config to
activate it.

Once in the remote host you can launch any X11 app and it will be
displayed in the local X.

To start an entire encripted remote session (I don't recomend it) I
suggest you to allow the XDMCP and if you can trick with SSH create a tunnel
of the XDMCP port. You'll find in www.openssh.net all the information
about tunnelling.

I prefer the first method, because it's the fastest and you can execute any
remote app mataining the desktop local (someone that doesn't consume CPU
if you use a 'memory-controlled' desktop).

Good luck.

Josep Llauradó Selvas	                darlock@tinet.org
	      Linux Registered User #153481
The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.
After that, it's all learned.
(in comp.os.linux.misc, on X interfaces.)