Re: binaries into deb's [newbie]

Hello Kevin,

I'm not an expert, but I usually:

apt-get the packages debhelper debianutils debconf-utils and compiling
tools

create a mutt directory in /usr/local/src (for example) and cd into it
add deb-src lines in your sources.list

apt-get source mutt

Then you have in /usr/local/src/mutt/mutt-<version> the original source
tree with a few dirs and files added, basically under debian directory.
In this directory you'll found 2 important files:

changelog: to add comments about the patches added to the main tree. To
add a comment use, under source root directory: "dch -i", that creates a
skeleton of the comment to fill-it.

rules: A script that makes the compilation and install. In this file you
can put the lines with the patch commands or you can patch yourselve prior
to the compilation.

To compile and make a deb file: debuild binary. this command executes the
rules file and creates a deb package in the /usr/local/src/mutt directory.

Hints: You can save your deb package to be override for a new one from
the debian tree using a diferent version (for example for my packages I
use <version>-darlock.<ownversion>).

Well, I'm not an expert, but I did a few packages using this formula. Feel
free to send me an e-mail if you have any problem.

Regards.

Josep Llauradó Selvas	                darlock@tinet.org
	      Linux Registered User #153481
The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.
After that, it's all learned.
(in comp.os.linux.misc, on X interfaces.)