Broken package stopping upgrades

I have my apt configured to use testing. I tried to upgrade a few
packages which caused libc6 to be upgraded, and in the process it tried
to install libdb1-compat.

libdb1-compat errored out in the install, and now I can't upgrade at all
because it errors on the removal too!

Everytime I try to upgrade anything the following is what I get. I've
tried apt-get -f install to fix the broken package, but this doesn't
help...

Can someone tell me how to get back to a working scenario???

$ sudo apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libdb1-compat
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 111kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database ... 19 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing libdb1-compat ...
dpkg - warning: while removing libdb1-compat, directory `/usr/share/doc'
not empty so not removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing libdb1-compat, directory `/usr/share' not
empty so not removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing libdb1-compat, unable to remove directory
`/usr': Device or resource busy - directory may be a mount point ?
dpkg - warning: while removing libdb1-compat, directory `/lib' not empty
so not removed.
dpkg: error processing libdb1-compat (--remove):
 cannot remove `/.': Invalid argument
 libdb1-compat
localepurge: checking for new locale files ...
localepurge: processing locale files ...