Re: procmail locking problem

Kenneth Stephen <y2kmvs@ebiz.austin.ibm.com> [2002-09-18 15:55:30 -0500]:
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Are you sure you are using procmail from woody?  If so then that error
> 	Reasonably. I had been running Potato but did a dist-upgrade.

Sounds reasonable.

> > message should be for /var/mail/y2kmvs.lock and not /var/spool/mail.

I like to peek into the binary to make sure of what I am getting.
Therefore I ran 'strings' on /usr/bin/procmail and see this.

  strings /usr/bin/procmail |grep /var
  /var/mail/

It shows /var/mail/ and not /var/spool/mail/.  If mail "falls off the
end" of your ~/.procmailrc file then that should be the value of
DEFAULT unless DEFAULT is overridden.  The man page confirms this.

       /var/mail/$LOGNAME.lock
                              lockfile  for  the  system  mailbox
                              (not automatically  used  by  proc
                              mail,    unless   $DEFAULT   equals
                              /var/mail/$LOGNAME and procmail  is
                              delivering to $DEFAULT)

Next I would guess a check of ~/.procmailrc and /etc/procmail is in
order to double check that this is not getting explicitly set to
someplace unexpected.  At this point I really expect you will find
something there that is setting DEFAULT.  (I seem to recall that even
if this is changed procmail will place lockfiles in /var/mail/ and
that is a bug getting fixed in development versions.  So YMMV here.)

> 	I note that in /etc/postfix/main.cf, the mail_spool_directory
> entry has two values : /var/mail and /var/spool/mail . Both are commented
> out, so I guess postfix is taking whatever the defaults is. The symlink
> you mentioned exists.

Assuming that you have mailbox_command set to procmail then the
setting of the spool directory in postfix would not matter.  Postfix
will hand it to mailbox_command and absolve itself of further concern.
Procmail will deliver to the procmail compiled in $DEFAULT or user
explicit override location.

You can check postfix configuration with the 'postconf' command.  Note
that this should not matter.  But best to be complete since it is easy
to check.

  postconf | grep mail_spool_directory
  mail_spool_directory = /var/mail

  postconf | grep mailbox_command

> 	They match the above. Version of procmail is 3.22-4

Same version here.  Matches the released woody 3.0r0.

Bob