Re: procmail locking problem

Kenneth Stephen <y2kmvs@ebiz.austin.ibm.com> [2002-09-18 11:43:43 -0500]:
> 	I am using Postfix on Woody as the MTA and procmail as the MDA. In
> my procmail log file, I see messages such as :
>
> procmail: Lock failure on "/var/spool/mail/y2kmvs.lock"
>
> 	The ownership of /var/spool/mail is root.mail and the permissions
> are rwxrwsr-x . If this is a permissions problem, how do I fix it, and why
> did this problem arise to begin with (since these are default installs of
> postfix and procmail)?

Are you sure you are using procmail from woody?  If so then that error
message should be for /var/mail/y2kmvs.lock and not /var/spool/mail.
/var/spool/mail should be a symlink to ../mail for compatibility.

What are the permissions on /usr/bin/procmail?  Mine from woody are as
follows.

-rwsr-sr-x    1 root     mail        65532 Apr 16 11:26 /usr/bin/procmail

Procmail is set-gid mail to be able to create locks in that directory.
I would guess that yours is not sgid for some reason.

Bob