Re: moving from sid to sarge.

On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 08:24, Leo Spalteholz wrote:
> Steve Juranich wrote:
[downgrading]

> I'm not an expert for sure but I just came across this the other
> day while reading up about apt pinning.  I think what you need to
> do is pin sarge with a priority greater than 1000.  Something
> along the following lines in your /etc/apt/preferences
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 1001

I would advise against downgrading - it is usually not tested, and a few
things (minor - such as dpkg...) are known to break depending on the
versions involved.

> you might also need to add the following line to /etc/apt/apt.conf
> APT::Default-Release "testing";

I would advise to have this, and to have both unstable and testing in
sources.list, together with a sensible preferences file. So you can
still mix packages between unstable and testing. But basically (unless
you have some real brokenness that needs attending) I would just wait.

cheers
-- vbi

--
secure email with gpg                           http://fortytwo.ch/gpg

NOTICE: subkey signature! request key 92082481 from keyserver.kjsl.com