Re: moving from sid to sarge.

Steve Juranich wrote:
I'm starting to come to the conclusion that the new way that AJ is running the sarge release cycle is leaving far more truly "unstable" packages in the "unstable" tree, so that it probably makes more sense for me to be pulling packages from testing rather than unstable.

So is the best way to move from sid to sarge just to fiddle with the sources.list and just wait for sarge to catch up with what I've got on my system now? I'd really hate this to be another "apt-get dist-downgrade" thread. I knew what I was getting into when I upgraded to "unstable", but now I want out (after about 2 years).

If there is a better (faster) way to move my system into a 'sarge' system, I'd be happy to hear it.

I'm not an expert for sure but I just came across this the other day while reading up about apt pinning. I think what you need to do is pin sarge with a priority greater than 1000. Something along the following lines in your /etc/apt/preferences

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 1001

you might also need to add the following line to /etc/apt/apt.conf
APT::Default-Release "testing";

correct me if I'm way off track here but I'm guessing the next time you do an upgrade you should be bumped back to sarge..

leo