Re: Which file do I use to configure networking these days?

Joe Emenaker said:

> So, where does one go, nowadays to:
> - Set an interface's IP address or to enable it for DHCP?
> - Change whether it comes up automatically or has to be brought up
> manually? - Set IP address or DHCP for PCMCIA cards?

most of that is /etc/network/interfaces

to make an interface come up automatically put something like
auto eth0

see the manpage for the rest. PCMCIA, i put this information
in that file as well, but there may be another pcmcia-related
place in addition to this file. if you only have PCMCIA(and on
onboard ethernet or something) I would put it in here.

> Also, is there a cheat-sheet somewhere of where all of the prefered
> config files are now? It seems that, with each release, there are always
> some big changes in how some big services are configured.

I'm not aware of one .....

nate