Which file do I use to configure networking these days?

Okay folks.... today is "cleanin' out my closet" day as far as Debian problems goes, so you'll probably see a handfull of questions from me today. Try to be patient and gentle.....

First off, I've been using Debian for quite some time.... 4 or 5 years now, I guess. Back then, you had to set your IP addresses in "/etc/init.d/network" by adding/modifying the actual "ifconfig" and "route" commands.

Over the years, the "blessed" place to modify your IP settings seems to have moved around. From what I can tell, "/etc/init.d/network" has been phased out in favor of "/etc/init.d/networking" which seems to involve other scripts in /etc/pcmcia, /etc/network, and /etc/default.

So, where does one go, nowadays to:
 - Set an interface's IP address or to enable it for DHCP?
 - Change whether it comes up automatically or has to be brought up manually?
 - Set IP address or DHCP for PCMCIA cards?

Also, is there a cheat-sheet somewhere of where all of the prefered config files are now? It seems that, with each release, there are always some big changes in how some big services are configured.

- Joe