need advice on building packages from source

Hi,

I played around w/ gentoo a few months ago (and promptly came back to debian (i missed apt) ). But i do miss the optimization i experienced w/ gentoo (despite what everyone says, there was a very noticeable difference in performance on my machine between debian and gentoo), so i did some searching and found this stuff on debianplanet:

<debianplanet>
There have been several discussions about building Debian from source. I hacked together a script today that will rebuild all installed packages -- it's written in perl and operates very smoothly. The URL for my script is http://www.rootshell.be/~kp2sushi/source_builder.pl <http://www.rootshell.be/%7Ekp2sushi/source_builder.pl>.

*Robot101*: Yes, the idea of building everything from source has been discussed before here <http://www.debianplanet.org/article.php?sid=452>, here <http://www.debianplanet.org/article.php?sid=675>, here <http://www.debianplanet.org/article.php?sid=521>, here <http://www.debianplanet.org/article.php?sid=271>, and here <http://www.debianplanet.org/article.php?sid=591>. The general consensus is that it's a bit of a time-waster except for building optimised versions of a handful of CPU intensive packages such as bzip, gzip , mozilla and glibc. After woody releases, we may see support for this added to dpkg and apt, allowing a few select packages to ship with optimised versions where appropriate.
</debianplanet>

I dont' really want to build everything from source (that takes way too long on my k6-2), but i was thinking maybe compiling glibc, moz, (g|bz)ip, etc might be a good thing... what would be the best way to go about this?

Thanks,
Cameron Matheson