Re: df and dh reporting different disk space usage

Adrian,

>> -   Deleted files that are still open; as the files are marked as
>> deleted, they won't show up in directory listings (and hence: du
>> wouldn't find them), but they still occupy disk space. E.g. if you
>> 'rm' a file that is still being written to. Partial solution:
>> truncate the file before deleting it.
>
> Way to detect these things: lsof shows all open files, even already
> deleted ones (dunno if there's an easy way to detect these in lsof
> output, though). May or may not be easier than with debugfs.

lsof showed me the files under /usr that were open. I'm pretty certain that these are the ones on the mounted filesystem. And none of them are files should be written to anyway.

thanks,

Erik

|   Erik Erskine                                                     |
|   Sundayta Ltd                                                     |