Re: Need help with internet connection...

David A. Bartmess said:
> I'm running Debian with the bf2.4 kernel, on an AMD Athlon 900 with 256
> Meg  ram.
>
> I can't seem to get my internet connection running correctly.
>
> I've checked every file I can think of (/etc/inetd.conf, hosts,
> hosts.conf,  etc), but I'm stumped.

depending on what you mean by internet connection, none of the
files mentioned above really have anything to do with the internet
connection ..:)

> Now I ping anything other than 10.0.0.1, and it just sits there, no
> output.

is 10.0.0.1 your actual gateway? do you have the netmask and broadcast
set right? e.g. here is the info for my eth0:

iface eth0 inet static
	address 216.39.174.24
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	broadcast 216.39.174.255
	gateway 216.39.174.1
	network 216.39.174.0

what is the IP of your machine? and does your gateway use NAT or
something? what kind of gateway??

> Can someone list a few places I can check, then I can respond back with
> specifics.

the interfaces file is the correct place to set basic settings,
DNS info is usually set in /etc/resolv.conf. This is assuming your
using a normal ethernet connection and not some PPPoE or some other
strange thing(strange to me at least, my systems have a bridge to
the internet, everything is plain ol ethernet)

nate