Re: IRQ conflict

john gennard said:
> I have two Realtek ND010 Fast Ethernet PCI cards on a box.
> IRQ's 11 and 12 have been allocated (?by the hardware itself)
> and I need 12 for my PS2 mouse.
>
> Using the 'irq_addr' option with ifconfig does not work - I get the
> error "SIOCSIFMAP  - operation not supported".
>
> There's very little on this box so I have no shortage of free IRQ's. How
> do I go about changing the 12 to say 10?
>
> Woody with the 2.2.20 kernel installed in a fairly standard PC.

your best bet will probably to change the PCI slot that the card
which is using IRQ12 is in, usually motherboards assign a range of
IRQs for each slot..some slots share IRQs(usually the first and/or last
slot shares IRQs with other things).

second would be to check the bios, some BIOSs have a way to specify
that certain IRQs are reserved for ISA devices(e.g. PS/2). Many BIOSs
also have a  "reset configuration data" or "reset bios" options which
tell the bios to re-scan the hardware, and that can make the system
aware of your new NIC and assign it a different IRQ.

third would be to change NIC vendors

fourth would be to try to use a USB mouse

nate