Re: OT: Accessing users' pages on Apache

Jason Wojciechowski wrote:

Hello Kent,

On Sep 13, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

|      * User directories are enabled, and user documents will be looked
|        for in the public_html directory of the users' homes. These dirs
                          ^^^^
|        should be under /home, and users will not be able to symlink to
|        files they don't own.
| | | So I created the directory "/home/westk/public_directory"
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^

There's a typo here.  If you actually created the directory called that,
then no wonder it doesn't work :)  If the directory is correctly named
and this is an email typo, then I have no idea.

-Jason

And nate wrote:

that should be public_html not public_directory(unless you changed
httpd.conf. also be sure that apache has read access, which is
usually default, but if your more strict with security you may
need to:

chmod o+rx /home/westk /home/westk/public_html

so apache can access it. also all files in public_html need to
be readable by apache as well(again this is the default..)

Yeah, it's a typo in the email. The directory is actually /home/westk/public_html, as written (correctly) earlier in the email. And the permissions are:

westk03[westk]:/home/westk> ls -ld public_html/
drwxr-xr-x    2 westk    westk        1024 Sep 13 01:32 public_html/

westk03[westk]:/home/westk> ls -l public_html/
total 9
-rw-r--r--    1 westk    westk        8647 Sep 13 00:42 index.html