RE: Why do I need to be a %^#$# programmer to use Linux?

David Pastern said:
> Nate,
>
> The pcmcia issue sounds familiar - there are two types - 16bit and 32bit.
> If it's an xircom card (now owned by Intel) you will need to enable
> either 16bit or 32 bit in the bios of the laptop.  Xircom cards are easy

hmm, i never remembered seeing 16/32bit pcmcia support in any of the
laptops(BIOS's at least) ...I only have a T20 at the moment and
there aren't any PCMCIA options in the bios..

> As to drivers from the Intel site, it's really badly organised now imho.
> The old xircom site was much nicer.  Best way (and i'm sure you've most
> probably done this already) is to find the model name (something like
> RBE-100) etc etc and do a search via that.  I DO presume you downloaded
> the right driver though (last sentence was a "just in case").

yeah, I believe I did, I checked the .inf file even and it matched
the name on the bottom of the card.

> Nate, I think (if memory serves me correct), Win 95 supported around 3000
> devices, win98 around 4500, win me around 8000, win2k around 7500 and win
> xp around 11000 devices.  I'm not sure how that compares to linux
> support.  And - why use staroffice 6 - Openoffice does wonders :-)

as for staroffice, some people contribute back by reporting bugs, others
by fixing bugs, for me buying staroffice is an easy way to show
Sun I support them and to hopefully tell them to keep working on
the product. I'm not good at filing bugs or checking bugs(I work at
a software company and I maybe filed 2-3 bugs the 2 years I've been
there). And buy buying SuSE's version I can hopefully show support
for both sun AND suse at the same time!

I'm not sure how many devices linux/distributions support, since many
drivers are generic, working on many pieces of equipment, I've found
that with systems I use in general its less often I need a 3rd party
driver then when I see a win32 system.

nate