SUCCESS! It Boots! Re: kernel and booting (was Re: Ongoing Woody upgrade

Colin and the List readers.

With fervent thanks to the Almighty, and to Colin, and to the Debian List,
my system is now updated to CURRENT Woody status.  Moreover, it rebooted
without significant incident.

I will write down some of the messages and ask about them and some other
issues. But right now I'm thankful and celebrating this small success.

This has been a bit traumatic because the Unix expert who was my usual
Debian helper has departed the sunny South to RI for an undetermined time.

I'm having to learn this in my dotage. When you guys use the word ancient,
look in the dictionary. You see a picture of me there beside the word. ;)

Anyhow, I'll learn this stuff well. I have a system here at the office
devoted solely to installation, and I'll install it, Sarge, Sid and X and
some various window managers until I become proficient.

Perhaps I can return in small measure the help you guys have given me.

David Teague