Re: Shutting postgres up

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 06:30:29PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Dave Sherohman <esper@sherohman.org> [2002.09.13.1827 +0200]:
> > What do I have to do to make postgres run quietly, preferably in a
> > manner which will survive future upgrades?
>
> syslog = 0
> silent_mode = off
>
> in /etc/postgresql/postgresql.conf

a)  This looks like it would prevent error messages from being
logged.

b)  From my reading of the docs on silent_mode, it would appear that
this would cause all messages to be spewed to stdout or stderr.

What I want is for problems to be logged, but to suppress all of the
"everything is functioning normally" messages.  (You're doing routine
maintenance?  Good for you.  Now go away and tell me when something
out of the ordinary happens.)

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss