Problems with xmms.

I'm not sure when the changes took place, but I think it's been a couple of
weeks now.  All of a sudden, xmms started sounding like total crap on my
on-board ac97 via8223 working under alsa.

I noticed that there's an alsa-xmms, but when I install that package, I get
the following message:

coffee (steve)$ xmms
failed: audio.c:200 (alsa_setup_mixer)

I've tried manually editing the ~/.xmms/config file to look immediately for
the new ALSA module (instead of the OSS module, which it's using now), but I
get the same results.

Has anybody dealt with this and know how to fix it?

Thanks.

Stephen W. Juranich                             sjuranic@ee.washington.edu
Electrical Engineering             http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic
University of Washington                http://ssli.ee.washington.edu/ssli