Re: Writing a kernel building walkthrough - proofreaders wanted

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Kirk Strauser wrote:

> I never can remember the exact steps for building my Debian kernel packages
> from one time to the next (it's not like I do it all that often), so I made
> a web page to detail the process.  It's at
> http://subwiki.honeypot.net/cgi-bin/view/Main/DebianKernelBuilding .  Would
> any of you be so kind as to check it for me and see if I'm mostly on track?

     * export PATCH_THE_KERNEL="YES"
     * cd /usr/src
     * tar xvzf nvidia-kernel-src.tar.gz

or tar xvfj kernel.src.tar.bz

     * cd linux

ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source2.2.20 /usr/src/linux

     * make-kpkg --config {config|xconfig|menuconfig} configure
     * make-kpkg clean
     * make-kpkg --us --uc --append-to-version $local kernel_image
     * make-kpkg --us --uc --append-to-version $local modules

make-kpkg --initrd --us --uc --append-to-version $local modules

     * cd ..
     * ls -lart *.deb
     * dpkg -i {list of .deb packages you just created}
     * mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-$fullVersion
     * lilo -v or update-grub

   -- KirkStrauser - 12 Sep 2002

Oliver
--