Re: Linux in Universities

Ken Bloom wrote:
> You should consider discussing universites whose departments use linux in
> their labs. For example, I attend UC Davis and have taken computer classes
> in three departments: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and
> Mathematics. Each of these departments' labs run Unix variants exclusively:
> Computer Science uses SGI, HP, and Linux/x86 ; Computer Engineering uses HP
> and Linux/x86 ; Mathematics uses Linux/x86 exclusively. In some cases, I
> have been restricted by the assignment to using Linux exclusively, even when
> the department's lab includes other systems.

I'm not averse to mentioning departments that use Linux, but I do
prefer solid evidence (say, an official department computer support
page that clearly indicates Linux is supported, or a good page
describing
how and why Linux is used in the department).  Fuzzier indications
of Linux use are I think handled well already in my google search
tallies.
Got a good link for me?

> UC Davis' general computer labs (open to all students) still run Windows and
> MacOS9, but it seems like the University may be heading toward Linux.

That's wonderful.  Do you have a URL of an official University page
that has evidence of this?  (Not trying to be picky here, but I'm
trying to convince the skeptics, not the believers.)

Thanks,
Dan