Re: Linux in Universities

You should consider discussing universites whose departments use linux in
their labs. For example, I attend UC Davis and have taken computer classes
in three departments: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and
Mathematics. Each of these departments' labs run Unix variants exclusively:
Computer Science uses SGI, HP, and Linux/x86 ; Computer Engineering uses HP
and Linux/x86 ; Mathematics uses Linux/x86 exclusively. In some cases, I
have been restricted by the assignment to using Linux exclusively, even when
the department's lab includes other systems.

UC Davis' general computer labs (open to all students) still run Windows and
MacOS9, but it seems like the University may be heading toward Linux. And
this is of much greater importance than the 2% linux user statistic cited on
your page (upon which we cannot even perform statistical inference because
only 5 people indicated using linux on their computers) because your
indication of problems in software piracy points to a bigger trend.

I won't comment on the accuracy of your statement that "...part of the
problem was that the university required the use of certain software, but
did not provide copies for students to use on their home machines.", but if
it is true then it would logically imply that as Universities begin to
deploy more open solutions in their computer labs, students will begin
adopting the same open solutions on their own computers.