Re: usb mouse

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, David Kimdon wrote:

> Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 11:36:30AM +0200 wrote:
> > hello!!,
> >
> >     I have installated debian 3.0, but the mouse does not work. It uses usb. How can I configurate it?
> >
> Hi,
>
> This question is better suited to debian-user, cc'ing.  Here is a
> pretty good guide:
> http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/c122.html
>
> at least gives you a few things to try.  The above link indicates that
> you may have better luck with a 2.4 kernel, if you installed the
> default Debian kernel you have 2.2.

Hi,

this question was asked on the list before:

[...]

     * To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
     * Subject: Re: another mouse question!!
     * From: "nate" <debian-user@aphroland.org>
     * Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 15:11:58 -0700 (PDT)

<quote who="Matt Price">
> hi everyone,
>
> argh!  my video card is working now, but I can't get my mouse to show
> up!! I have two miche, one ps/2 logitech simple ps/2 scroll mouse, the
> other usb logitech optical scroll mouse.  both wo4rk fine in redhat.,
> both are being run through a kvm onto a machien with no ps/2 port.  I

so the mouse is (eventually) attached to the machine via USB?

if so, then you need to load the usbmouse drivers and configure them.

I am not certain if debian includes these by default.  I use a USB
logitech trackman marble wheel on this laptop I'm usin, and the
configuration (kernel 2.2) for me is:

CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_UHCI=y
CONFIG_USB_HID=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768

then i have this in /dev:
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  63 Feb 17 23:13 /dev/usbmouse

this in my XF86Config-4:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Mouse2"
        Driver  "mouse"
        Option "Protocol"       "IMPS/2"
        Option  "Device"        "/dev/usbmouse"
        Option "Zaxismapping" "4 5"
EndSection

I load these modules on boot:
mousedev                3808   0  (unused)
hid                    11840   0  (unused)
input                   2880   0  [mousedev hid]

more info in the kernel documentation under Documentation/usb/input.txt

this of course is assuming your using a USB mouse of some sort, on
2.2 kernel

on my laptop I use 2 pointers, the internal track knob thing and
the usb mouse. which is why my Identifier is Mouse2 instead of
just Mouse.

[...]

Oliver
--