Re: Why mailing-lists? Usenet have been invented, I hear. ;-)

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 08:43:06 -0400
Edward Guldemond <thedebategod@yifan.net> wrote:

> > I'd recently bought (yes paid money) for Suse 8 pro.  I decided to
> > trial it on my laptop, Compaq Armada 1750.  Eventually, I got it to
> > work and install. After contacting Suse support that is.
> > Installation manual had nothing on my problem that I encountered.
> > Google search didn't find anything (hey i'm not going to search thru
> > 25k of pages hoping to find something).  Search of Suse' dbase
> > didn't find an answer.  So I relied on support.  Their reply was
> > cryptic to say the least.  No mention of how to do it, just do this.
> >  That's
> > pathetic.  And i'm paying for support!  Once I finally got Suse
> > installed sound was fux0red.  Odd.  Anyways I did check the Suse
> > dbase and found what I thought was my answer - setup settings for my
> > very laptop for Suse 8 pro. I copied the settings for the soundcard
> > to the "T".  Wouldn't work.  So I emailed Suse ( by this time i'm
> > rather pissed off with it all) and I get told "sorry we don't
> > support soundcards in basic support).  Gee - get this guys - in any
> > other business they'd go bust.  Big time.  That is PATHETIC support.
> >  To a "T".  And the funny thing?  I've had redhat 7, 7.1 and 7.2 on
> > that very said laptop without a single installation issue.  And i've
> > had sound working on it on all occasions.  Funny that Suse couldn't
> > manage it.
>
> Okay, why are you flaming SuSe on a Debian mailing list?  Because they
> told you to RTFM, and you couldn't because you were too busy telling
> them that they sucked?  Maybe you should have installed RedHat, copied
> down the settings for the sound card, and replicated them under SuSe.
> Wait, did I just give useful help

I can see somebody being pi**ed at Suse by paying for it and expecting
support for it.
Those guys don't even tell you to RTFM but go right ahead and try to
sell you service you already paid for because almost nothing but help on
how to find the power-on switch is included there.
The fineprint was probably written by some guy the hired from M$.
What that got to do with Debian and the best mailinglist in Linux?
-No idea.

Klaus