Re: Why mailing-lists? Usenet have been invented, I hear. ;-)

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 11:04:35PM -0400, David P James wrote:
> For all the replies I've seen here, few seem to have read what he
> actually wrote. He does have a valid point - there is a high volume of
> email on this mailing list. For instance, I was offline for just 2 days
> when I moved from home to university over the weekend and when I checked
> my email afterwards there were well over 300 messages, most of them
> filtering into my debian-user folder. That is a lot of volume to have to
> sift through and delete if you want to preserve harddrive space, not to
> mention the extra time in doing so. Also, if you're not on a permanent
> connection, I'm sure there are bandwidth issues as well.

I agree that the point he made is somewhat valid.

I am subscribed to a couple of other lists as well. Should fetchmail
for one reason or another not work for a couple of days, I am sure I
will fill the mailbox at my isp rather quickly with the risk of
personal email getting bounced.

I hold you ALL responsible for this. So please, don't send so much
email anymore. Remember, just because I installed Debian (recently)
I want you to listen to me and do as I say. Don't make me leave.

Mmm'kay?!?
Bob

p.s. perhaps the true meaning of OP got lost due to him not having
native English language skills. Should this become clear by another
message from him, the replies of the group would most likely be
milder and we can all have a laugh about it.