Re: NFS Mounted Home Directories Machine Keeps Locking Up

Charlie Grosvenor said:

> nfs: task 419 can't get a request slot
>
> Please could somebody explain why this is happening? Is there any way of
> fixing it?

I posted on a similar issue. these seem to be pretty common, I attribute
it to just a buggy NFS implimentation in linux. You may have better luck
using apps that aren't so picky about locking files. e.g. I've been
told GNOME is very sensitive to file locking so it may "lockup" if the
NFS server goes nuts. KDE(v3 at least) seems to behave OK without
needing much locking(at least it does for my sister's SuSE 8 machine
which nfs mounts her home directory from my woody system, GNOME only
half loads when the NFS server is in the "broken" state)

in my case usually /etc/init.d/nfs-common restart helps, at least
short term..(at least for me, rpc.statd seems to die, even though
it doesn't exit, just becomes unresponsive).

NFS locking has been a problem on linux for many years so it's not like
its a new problem ..:(

nate