Re: Why mailing-lists? Usenet have been invented, I hear. ;-)

Kai Olsen said:
> Hi all.

> Why on earth (to stay local) doesn't Debian move the lists to a
> newsserver instead ????

i'll reply anyways.

not every ISP has a news server, running a news server is very bandwidth
intensive and disk space intensive. I personally prefer mailing lists over
usenet anyday.  Now I personally have no problem with a mail:news gateway
where people can use either method to communicate, I just perfer mailing
lists.

debian-user is a relativly high traffic list..at least it has a good
ratio of good:crap(e.g. spam) mails, unlike many newsgroups ..

I'd be interested in hearing if any other distributions use usenet
for user support. I have used SuSE, and FreeBSD's mailing lists ...

if you don't like it, looks like you've gone away, you won't be missed!

nate