converting root fs to ext3, get rid of .journal

Heya folks,

I converted my filesystems to ext3 and now I want to get rid of the
.journal file on the root fs.  There's no .journal on the other fs
since I converted it unmounted.

I'm thinking I could boot to my installation CD, execute a shell and
run the tune2fs -j on the device while unmounted, but I don't know if
tune2fs is available that way, or if there are other issues.

I've done some googling but haven't found anything other that a
suggest to re-install the root fs from scratch using ext3.

Does anyone have suggestions as to whether this will work, or other
options to accomplish this task?

thanks,
jc

--