Re: Exim configuration - filtering and aliases

On 15 Jul 2002 at 17:32, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
[ a few hints to get started on ]

Hello everyone,

Well, since I have now managed to find a solution, I though - in the
spirit of sharing - I would post my solution to this particular
configuration question.

domains, each of which he wants to be able control seperately. The
setup is based on exim and courierIMAP.

<Disclaimer>
This setup worked for me. The following is merely a suggestion posted
in the hope that it could perhaps be useful to anyone trying to make
a setup similar to mine.  Oh, I almost forgot: I am by no means an
exim wizard, so go read at least the introduction of the exim
specification to get an idea of how it all works together.
</Disclaimer>

This is what I did:

## Begin changes to exim.conf:
# main section
local_domains = dbm;/etc/mail/domains.db

# Transports configuration
# Make it work with courierIMAP and maildirs
local_delivery:
driver = appendfile
group = mail
mode = 0660
mode_fail_narrower = false
envelope_to_add = true
return_path_add = true
directory = /home/${local_part}/Maildir/
maildir_format
create_directory

# Director configuration:

# Custom virtual domains director
# - allow a single alias file for each virtual domain
# - chapter 43.2 in exim spec

virtual:
  driver = aliasfile
  skip_syntax_errors = true
  domains = dbm;/etc/mail/domains.db
  file = /etc/mail/alias.$domain
  search_type = lsearch*@
  no_more
## End changes to exim.conf

## Begin /etc/mail/domains
domain1
domain2
# you get the picture ...
## End /etc/mail/domains

## Begin /etc/mail/alias.domain1 (owned by user3)
# give user1 a few aliases
user1:		user1
alias:		user1
alias:		user1
alias:		user1

# give user2 af few aliases
user2:		user2
alias:		user2

# star alias - send the rest to user3
*:			user3
## End /etc/mail.alias.domain1

And that was basically it. I'm impressed with how well the
exim/courierimap setup runs on my lowly K6-200 w/ 80 MB RAM, an old
IDE disk and plenty of other servers running. Anyway, this setup
makes for a nice little workgroup mail server ...

With regards to the choice of MUA, KMail seems to be quite a nice
match with my setup. On a similar note, I have yet to find a
Microsoft Windows MUA that works really well with IMAP. I currently
use Pegasus mail ver. 4.02 but it does not seem to cache headers as
well as KMail apparently does (if it caches  them at all ?).

Kind regards,

Rune
--
"Rune Morling" <rune.morling@debitelmail.dk>