Re: gcc version issues

On  0, Gib Bogle <bogle@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> My Debian system is 2.4.18, which was built with gcc 2.95.4.  I want to
> compile some software which apparently requires gcc 2.96 or later.  What
> should I do?  My first thought was simply to install a later version of
> gcc, but it occurs to me that this could create problems for me later,
> for example if I wanted to rebuild the kernel.

Surely gcc2.96.x (or whatever) is just as capable of compiling kernels
as is gcc2.95.4?  You might want to recompile from scratch, so that
the entire binary is built with 2.96.x.  My kernel is a stock debian
kernal compiled with I don't know which gcc, but it doesn't stop me
from compiling kernels with whatever gcc I have installed.

Or have I missed the point of your question?

Tom
--
Tom Cook

"A child of five could understand this.  Fetch me a child of five."
	- Groucho Marx

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au