Re: pppoe not reconnecting if dropped

Once upon a time Ross Tsolakidis said...
> Hi all,
>
> Running Debian Woody on my gateway box at home.
> 1 NIC connected to ADSL modem, the other to my network (standard setup).
>
> I use the debian package to do pppoe, (roaring penguin).
>
> I seem to be having issues when I drop line sync for a long time.
> If I drop sync for a short period of time, it's ok.
> But if I lose sync for a long time, it will not reconnect.
>
> The only way to get it going again is by restarting the process..
> /etc/init.d/ppp restart
>
> Has anybody had issues like this, and how did you resolve it ?

Yes, I had a similar problem. I fixed it with two lines in my
/etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider file:

persist
maxfail 0

You probably already have persist, but maxfail will default to some
finite value. If your line sync doesn't come back before maxfail
retries, ppp will stop trying to connect.

With "maxfail 0", ppp will continue trying to reconnect indefinitely.