Re: consistant userid:username setup for system accounts?

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 12:24:06PM -0700, nate wrote:
> hi
>
> I have ran accross this a few times in the past but was curious
> if there was any effort in Debian 3.0 that goes to assigning a
> uid number to the system accounts to keep them consistant accross
> installations. Many of the accounts already are(the core ones) but
> at least in my case I had some trouble migrating a cyrus installation
> from one system to another because on the system it came from(potato)
> cyrus was uid=100, on the woody system it was going to cyrus was
> uid=103 and sshd was uid=100. On my system at home which is woody
> cyrus is uid=101 and sshd is uid=102. It would really be nice if
> there was an assigned method(sort of like assigning ports) for keeping
> uid numbers consistant. This would also help a great deal with
> distributed authentication such as LDAP or NIS.
>
> at least it would help when working in a mostly debian networked
> enviornment.

The Debian policy manual section 10.2 covers users and groups.
Specifically, the uid/gid numbers 0-99 are explicitly assigned
via base-passwd, 100-999 are dynamically assigned system uid/gid's.
So, it seems that any package that doesn't need an explicit uid/gid
gets the next available system uid/gid via adduser --system.

I would assume that system packages are only thought to need
consistent id's when they actually own files (vs. root.root
config files).  One hundred id's isn't very many to go around.

--
begin 664 .signature
M<F5L;&E-("Y'(&-I<D4@/G1E;BYS<&I`,FUG93P)"`@("`@("`@("`@("`@(