Re: Printing problems....help???

Matthew Claridge wrote:
Donald R. Spoon wrote:

In my list of modules, I have the following loaded:

parport
parport_pc
lp

Since I don't see any of those in your 'lsmod" results, I would say your printer port is not being initialized on boot-up. As a test, try to load each of these modules with "modprobe" and check if your printer works after loading them. If it "fixes" the problem, I would advise adding them to /etc/modules with any old text editor.

ok, tried using modprobe to load them, but that didn't fix the printing problem. I've added the modules to /etc/modules now and rebooted but still no printing ;o(

even removing and reinstalling printtool (which at least got it going again last time) doesn't work anymore.....

Sorry that didn't solve your problem. Sounds like you might have multiple layers of "problems". If you do a "lsmod" command now and you see these modules loaded, then at least you probably have eliminated one of the possible causes. The next step is to concentrate on your software & config. I can't be of much help in that. I use CUPS here, after many frustrating years of struggling with other print systems with mixed results. FWIW, I never got "printtool" to work for me under Debian. It would configure something, but nothing ever came out of my printer :( If you want to give CUPS a try, holler & I will happily share what I know...

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-