writing ext2 on ext3 partition

AFAIK ext2 and ext3 work well together,
but I want to make sure before I do something stupid ;-)

I'm moving my system to a new hd (same computer).
The old system is potato and uses ext2.
The new one is woody, ext3.  I have copied my data there.

For some time I will still occasionally use the old system.
Is it save to mount the new ext3 partitions as ext2 from the
old system, which is AFAIK not ext3 aware?

Could writing data from the ext2 system to the ext3 one
possibly corrupt the filesystem (run later as ext3)?
(I'm *not* talking about power failures and the like).

Thank you, Robert.