Re: writing ext2 on ext3 partition

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 02:23:09PM +0200, Robert Epprecht wrote:
> AFAIK ext2 and ext3 work well together,
> but I want to make sure before I do something stupid ;-)
>
> I'm moving my system to a new hd (same computer).
> The old system is potato and uses ext2.
> The new one is woody, ext3.  I have copied my data there.
>
> For some time I will still occasionally use the old system.
> Is it save to mount the new ext3 partitions as ext2 from the
> old system, which is AFAIK not ext3 aware?

Yes, it is. The only difference is, ext3 commits all metadata to the
journal (/.journal) before writing it to disc.

> Could writing data from the ext2 system to the ext3 one
> possibly corrupt the filesystem (run later as ext3)?
> (I'm *not* talking about power failures and the like).

No. You only have to be cautious if you didn't cleanly umount as ext2
and mount again as ext3. I'm not sure whether fsck is clever enough to
realize this and avoid using the journal for recovery.

> Thank you, Robert.

regards Christoph

--
Net wennst zuviel versch. Plattformen herumstehen hast, Open
für Paranoide und Free für den Wald- und Wiesen BSD'ler.