Re: hde: lost interrupt + clicking sound = harddisk failing?

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 20:30, Chun Kit Edwin Lau wrote:
> I am answering myself because I was wrong.  Windows has the clicking
> problem too, but it doesn't crash yet.  Could this be the heat in the
> computer causing the malfunction?
>
> Edwin Lau

Yes, I once scorched a hard drive.  It was spiting out all kinds of
errors.  I got some more fans and cooled it down and it aparently works
just fine now.  Though according to some utilities I have run on it any
more trama to it and it will fail.  You failed to say what hard drive
you had, but some hard drives come with S.M.A.R.T.  If it does you can
apt-get install smartsuite
to get some diagnostic utilities that will run under linux.