Re: PPP Internet Connection Not Working

Peter Christensen wrote:
Don,

I don't have an ethernet card or LAN, but I did notice that if I shut down Linux and then start up again, I get a message saying:

  wwwoffle in autodial mode

also:

  PPP: version 2.3.7 (demand dialling)

The default route:

debian:/home/peter# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.0.2     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    1      0        0 tap0
0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         U     1      0        0 tap0

only appears if I shut down and restart LInux. Restarting KDE does not have this effect.

I noticed in man for diald:

 Routes for the  proxy  link should  have  "0.0.0.0"  as  the  gateway.

Is this a clue that diald is responsible?

Donald R. Spoon wrote:

There are other programs that can set the "default route" by design.
DIALD is one of those.  If you are using diald, you should probably
consult the setup docs to see the correct setup proceedure.  If you are
NOT using diald, then I would recommend removing it from your system.
It seems to be installed by default on most of mine...

I connect to the internet with "pon," and would prefer not to have any program dial in automatically.

If, as you suggested, diald is causing this problem, I would like to remove it safely, but do not know how. Would this be through apt-get remove? I am very new to Linux, so have not done this before.

Thanks,
Peter Christensen

Peter,

You can safely remove diald with "apt-get remove diald" or "dpkg --purge diald". I prefer the latter because it cleans out everything including the config files. If you later want to use it, then just re-install it.

I would suggest you remove diald as per above. If it isn't already installed, you will be notified <grin> & no harm will be done. I suspect it is installed.

Unless you have a specifice "need" for woffle, I would remove it also.

Finally, I would suggest you run the pppconfig" program and reconfigure your pppd scripts. I don't really know for sure, but the line "PPP: version 2.3.7 (demand dialling)" makes me think it might be configured for that function. If you don't want autodial or demand dialing, you will have to make sure it is turned off in the "pppconfig" scripts. You will find the option to turn it on/of under the "advanced" selection near the end of the Q& A screens. Be sure to check it...

Cheers & Good Luck!

-Don Spoon-