Re: PPP Internet Connection Not Working

I was hoping this thread would answer a question that's been puzzling me
concerning defaultroute.  Some months ago there was a question about PPP on
this list and someone referred to "How to Hook Up PPP" by W. G. Unruh at
http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

This document helped me past a problem with defaultroute when I installed
Woody this summer:
No Default Route Your computer passes messages for addresses it does not know
to the default route. ppp assumes that there can only be one default route on
any system. This is almost always the route to ISP's computer. However, if
pppd finds that a default route already exists, it will not set up one to
your ISP, causing problems (nothing gets through). In order that you not have
any conflicts between the routing across ppp and onto some network you have,
run
/sbin/route -n
(or you can also run
/bin/netstat -nr
which does the same thing)
while not connected via ppp, and look for a default entry. (First entry in
line is 0.0.0.0). This almost certainly should not be there. (Unless you
already have a hookup to the internet via an ethernet connection, you do not
want such a default route.) Unless you know that your computer has an
ethernet connection to other computers already, the only thing there should
be a route to 127.0.0.1 or 127.0.0.0 If there is such a default route (line
starting with 0.0.0.0), and you want the ppp interface to be your default
route, (the usual situation), run
/sbin/route del default
Also find out what was setting that wrong default route, and stop it from
doing so. (If you cannot figure out what is doing so, put that line
/sbin/route del default
at the end of whichever of /etc/rc.local or /etc/rc.d/rc.local exists on your
system.)
Before dialling out I always check for a default route (0.0.0.0) with "route
-n" and find it quite often.  So then I have to type "route del default"
before "pon."

Rather than automate the "route del default" command by putting it in
rc.local, I'd like to know why it keeps coming back.  Is it possible to
prevent the default route from going back to 0.0.0.0?

Thanks,
Peter Christensen