Re: Problems with esd in Woody?

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 03:20:38AM -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> I've been running Woody with a Gnome desktop for a few weeks now and it
> seems to work fine.
>
> Today I had a need to listen to an extended broadcast using realplayer 8
> (I run Galeon and I have installed the appropriate realplayer plugins).
>
> The broadcast would work fine for maybe 5-10, sometimes 15, minutes at a
> time, but then it would hang.  The realplayer app would also hang, as
> would Galeon itself.  Exiting/killing Galeon and realplayer wouldn't
> help: when I tried to restart Galeon, Galeon would hang.
>
> What I had to do was kill esd, then I could restart Galeon and esd and
> realplayer and continue listening (although obviously I'd missed a few
> minutes).
>
> This, needless to say, was pretty annoying.
>
> Does anyone know of any gotchas with ESD in Woody that might cause this
> behavior?  I see a new ESD in Sid; would it be worthwhile to upgrade to
> that version?
>

> BTW, I have a Dell Optiplex GX240 with an on-board soundcard using the
> I/O Controller Hub; I don't use Alsa I just use the kernel Intel ICH
> (i8xx) audio support option and it seems to work fine--at first blush it
> seems like an ESD problem not a sound driver problem, but I guess you
> never know...

Have you told Realplayer to use ESD as output?  If not, then Realplayer
and esd will be fighting over the device files... IIRC esd will use a
"timeout", where it will close the sound device if there is not sound
activity after a few secs - this tends to make diagnostics difficult.

HTH

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com