Problems with esd in Woody?

I've been running Woody with a Gnome desktop for a few weeks now and it
seems to work fine.

Today I had a need to listen to an extended broadcast using realplayer 8
(I run Galeon and I have installed the appropriate realplayer plugins).

The broadcast would work fine for maybe 5-10, sometimes 15, minutes at a
time, but then it would hang.  The realplayer app would also hang, as
would Galeon itself.  Exiting/killing Galeon and realplayer wouldn't
help: when I tried to restart Galeon, Galeon would hang.

What I had to do was kill esd, then I could restart Galeon and esd and
realplayer and continue listening (although obviously I'd missed a few
minutes).

This, needless to say, was pretty annoying.

Does anyone know of any gotchas with ESD in Woody that might cause this
behavior?  I see a new ESD in Sid; would it be worthwhile to upgrade to
that version?

BTW, I have a Dell Optiplex GX240 with an on-board soundcard using the
I/O Controller Hub; I don't use Alsa I just use the kernel Intel ICH
(i8xx) audio support option and it seems to work fine--at first blush it
seems like an ESD problem not a sound driver problem, but I guess you
never know...

 Paul D. Smith <pausmith@nortelnetworks.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools