Re: XFree and Matrox G550 -- HELP!

Hi,

I have also the same card and it works with the downloaded drivers.
Try checking the refresh rate section of your XFree config.
One problem I fequently had is that the debconfig script asks you
for the frequency range your monitor supports, and if I put in
the _maximum_ frequency it supports under 640x480 (180Hz) and then
I try to actually run it in 1280x1024 where it only supports 85Hz
then it will fail...
One would think this would be better handled by X but maybee it can't
talk properly to my monitor...

Also the 'No screens found' message can also occure if there is some
error in the X config file other then your monitor/card.
For instance I had once a problem with my mouse config and that
caused the server initialization to fail which in the end resulted in
the 'No screen found' message...

If you're not already, try starting X thoufg 'startx' and redirect
the output to a file then look for the first line which starts with
'[EE]' to find the reason...

regards,
Balazs