Re: Worried about Exim, my mail is dissappearing?

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 22:26, Lucas Barbuto wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I've been running Exim for a few months at a smallish office site,
> recently I migrated the system to Courier-IMAP (with Maildir format
> delivery by Exim).
>
> A few weeks ago a user complained that they hadn't received some mail
> from a friend that had tried to send them some messages.  I checked the
> logs, didn't see any errors, didn't think much of it.  However, today
> I've had two more users complain of similar problems, not receiving mail
> from friends, and not being able to send mail to friends... and when I
> thought about it, I'd noticed a couple of occasions when I hadn't
> received an email that I thought I should have.  I also had a suspicion
> that the volume of mail I was getting from this list had dropped.
>
> So the problem seems to be that somewhere along the line, mail is
> getting lost.  There are no messages bouncing and no errors in the Exim
> logs.  It's like the mail just dissappears into the ether.  This only
> happens for mail to and from remote sites, in house mail seems to be
> working no problems.  It also only happens intermittently, for example,
> I'll ask a question on firewall@lists.debian.org, I'll receive a copy of
> my message and maybe one reply, but then I'll go and search the web
> archives and find two or three replies.  The problem also doesn't seem
> to discriminate between senders and recipients, it can happen to anyone
> either trying to send or receive mail.
>
> This is weird and I don't know where to start looking, I've been tailing
> the Exim logs all day and I haven't noticed anything unusual.  Has
> anybody seen this kind of problem before?  Can anyone offer any ideas on
> what's happening?
>
> I've also read the Exim FAQ and found nothing helpful.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Lucas
>

> --

Courier is *VERY* particular about the sending email server domain name
matching the one it gets when it checks of the machine - if it doesn't
match, it bounces. My logs are running with some degree of scrutiny, and
I can see several emails on "re-send" from mail servers that don't match
the name in the header - while most are spammers, sometimes some aren't,
including occasionally larger legitimate ISPs.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org