Re: Hosts/DNS Problems w/ new Woody installs

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 15:53:40 -0700
"James L. Morton" <jmorton@ezrez.com> wrote:

> Sorry - I should've been more clear...I used telnet only as an example.
> I've found nothing except 'ping' that picks up the correct address
> (e.g., lynx www.yahoo.com gets me yahoo.com, instead of the local
> webserver.)
>
> It seems that on other boxen telnet does pick up on the hosts file.

If you have a nameserver declared in /etc/resolv.conf what happens since
yahoo.com is not your local domain is that your nameserver is resolving
yahoo.com out of your local network to the correct ip. If you remove the
nameserver from the resolv.conf file then all aplications will pick up your
local webserver when pointed to www.yahoo.com

  Marcelo Ramos                  |      \/       __    |
  Debian 3.0 GNU/Linux 2.2.20    |              |_/    /
  Linux registered user #118109  |                     \
  mramos@montevideo.com.uy       |_____|\/|_____|\______\