Re: Hosts/DNS Problems w/ new Woody installs

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 14:01:48 -0700
"James L. Morton" <jmorton@ezrez.com> wrote:

> I recently installed woody on 3 seperate boxes.  On all of them, DNS
> seems to be taking precendence over the hosts file, despite the fact
> that nsswitch.conf is configured to look at hosts first.  To make
> matters even more strange, ping gets the correct (hosts) address, while
> all other programs get the incorrect (DNS) version.

Probably your setup is correct. I believe that telnet do a dns reverse lookup
previous to the conection itself. Now www.yahoo.com resolves to 66.218.71.80 not
to 192.168.10.1, then the connection goes to 66.218.71.80.

  Marcelo Ramos                  |      \/       __    |
  Debian 3.0 GNU/Linux 2.2.20    |              |_/    /
  Linux registered user #118109  |                     \
  mramos@montevideo.com.uy       |_____|\/|_____|\______\